Sunday, February 21, 2010

Let Lent be a time for renewal

One of my favourite stage shows is Les Miserable. This stirring story about a man's fall from grace, and then redemption, is set against the backdrop of the French Revolution. It is a timeless story but the author of the book upon which it is based, Victor Hugo, also penned words of wisdom which apply acros the ages.

One of his sayings, which struck a chord with me over this weekend, was: "The future has several names. For the weak it is the impossible. For the faint-hearted, it is the unknown. For the thoughtful and valiant, it is the ideal."

At this time of year, which in the Catholic tradition is the season known as Lent, I am mindful of the need to hold on to, and pursue, the ideal; a better world, a better life, a better me!

With another working week about to begin, I am mindful that Lent is a time to become more attuned to the Lord working in my life. I find myself asking "How - and where - can I make a difference?" "How can I be of service and demonstrative of my faith?" "How am I resistant to the Lord's call on my time, talent and treasure?"

Whether you believe in God or not, whether you practise your faith or not, I pray that the next 30-plus days will be a time of struggle but also breakthrough. And after it all, may the Lord touch your life with joy and contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment