Sunday, July 29, 2018

Taking what we have

During the many miles we have covered on this trip, we have been listening to music selected on my Spotify account. Some of the staple selections have been anything by Leo Sayer, Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet and the song I want at my funeral, I Lived, by One Reoublic. There also have been songs from the two musicals we saw on Broadway, Kinky Boots and Thw Lion King.

One of the songs from Kinky Boots that has struck a chord with me is ‘Take What You’ve Got’. It’s lyrics resonate because they remind me of the importance of not letting circumstances determine our outlook on life. One of the greatest legacies of being married to Celena was that she showed me not to let a health diagnosis, a hospital visit or even significant loss diminish our passion for life. We are creatures built for aspiration and hopefulness - we are most fully alive when we are giving expression to our dreams and stepping into possibility.

There is not a day on this trip when my family are not on my mind or tugging at my heart strings. I miss them but I sense them here with me, reminding me that:

“You've got to take what you've got
Even where your life is in knots
You take aim, take your shot
Sometimes you've gotta rewrite the plot
You've gotta take what you got.”


No comments:

Post a Comment